After completing your Adult Matric, you will receive your Senior Certificate (Amended). This works exactly the same way as a National Senior Certificate, which is the certificate given to those who complete and pass their Matric year in school.
Where Can I Do My Matric As An Adult?
You can choose to study through a reputable distance learning college, or you can study Matric through TVET college.
Can I Do Matric 3 Months Online?
No, you cannot do your Matric online in three months. Your Matric will take a minimum of 12 months to complete, and can take longer.
However, if you failed Matric and want to do a Matric Rewrite, you can register for your exams in January/February and write the exams in May/June.
Can I Write My Matric At Home?
No, you cannot write your Matric at home. You can study for your Matric from home, but you must write the exams in a government-designated venue.
How Much Does It Cost To Write Matric?
It is free to register with the Department of Education to write your Adult Matric exams.
You will pay the fees for the school or college where you study for your Adult Matric. These fees cover your tuition and study materials.
Can I Write My Matric At UNISA?
No, you cannot write your Matric at UNISA. UNISA is a university and only offers tertiary education courses. Universities do not offer Matric courses. You can study for your Matric through a TVET college or a distance learning college.
Can I Do Matric At TVET College?
Yes, you can do your Matric at a TVET college. You will study for your TVC (Technical Vocation Certificate), also known as National Certificate (Vocational), qualification levels 2, 3, and 4. These are equivalent to Grades 10, 11, and 12.
What Are The Minimum Requirements To Pass Matric?
The minimum requirements to pass your Adult Matric are as follows:
- 40% or above in your Home Language subject
- 40% or above in two other subjects
- 30% or above in two other subjects
- You may fail the sixth subject as long as you achieve a minimum of 20% in the final exam
Can I Pass Matric With 5 Subjects?
Yes, you can pass your Adult Matric with five subjects. Note that you must achieve a minimum of 20% in the final exam for the subject you failed.
You cannot pass school Matric with five subjects, you must pass at least six to pass school Matric.
How Many Subjects Can You Fail To Pass Matric?
You may fail one subject except for your Home Language and still pass your Matric. If you fail your Home Language subject, you can rewrite the exams in the second national exam sitting.
Can I Get My Matric Results If I Failed?
Yes, you will still get your Matric results even if you failed your Adult Matric. You will receive a certificate with your subject information and a statement that you have not passed.
What Can I Do After Failing Matric?
You have options if you did not pass your Matric. You can:
- Get your exam remarked or rechecked for a fee
- View your marked exam for a fee
- Rewrite your Matric
- Study without Matric
Apply For A Remark Or Recheck
If you believe a mistake may have been made in the process of marking or calculating your result, you may apply for a recheck. The current price is R25, however, this is subject to change.
If you would like your paper to be remarked, you can apply for a remark. The fee for a remark is R104. this price is also subject to change.
View Your Paper
The option to view your paper is only available if you have signed up for a recheck or remark. You will be allowed to view your paper ten days after you have received the results of the recheck or remark. The fee to view your paper is R200. this price is subject to change each year.
Rewrite Your Matric
You may also rewrite your exams at any time. Registering with the Department of Education to rewrite your exams is free.
However, studying for your rewrite will not be free. You will need to attend a college to study for your rewrite. You will pay the college fees, which will cover your tuition and study materials.
Can I Rewrite My Matric After 5 Years?
Yes, you can rewrite your Matric up to five years after you have written your final exams. After this, you can do a Matric Upgrade.
Study Without Matric
There are study options available if you have failed Matric. There are two types of courses you can study without Matric:
- ICB courses
- Short courses
There are two ICB courses you can choose to study without Matric:
- Business Management
- Financial Accounting
- Office Administration
To study Business Management, you only need Grade 11 to be able to apply. To study Financial Accounting, you only need Grade 10 to be able to apply. The ICB course in Office Administration requires Matric or Matric Equivalent to apply.
This means you can study one of the ICB Matric Equivalent Certificates, and use that to apply for the ICB Office Administration course. The first level of the Business Management course is a Matric Equivalent, and the second level of the Financial Accounting course is also a Matric Equivalent.
Where Can I Study ICB Courses?
There are many short courses offered at four of the colleges listed above.
Short Courses At Matric College
Short Courses At Skills Academy
- Accounting, Bookkeeping And Finance
- Computer Courses
- Educare And Childcare N4 certificate, N5 certificate, N6 certificate, N6 Diploma
- Forensics And Policing
- Human Resource Management N4 certificate, N5 certificate, N6 certificate, N6 Diploma
- Insurance Courses
- Interior Decorating and Design, and Digital Photography
- Management Courses N4 certificate, N5 certificate, N6 certificate, N6 Diploma
- Marketing N4 certificate, N5 certificate, N6 certificate, N6 Diploma
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Project Management
- Wedding And Events Planning
Short Courses At Ember Academy
- Beauty Therapist Programmes
- Child Daycare Programme
- Child Psychology Programme
- Crèche Management Programme
- Digital Photography Programme
- Event Management Programme
- Facial Skincare Programme
- Guest House Management Programme
- Human Resource Management Programme
- Make-up Application Programme
- Nail Care Programme
- Operational Health and Safety Programme
- Personal Assistant Programme
- Project Management Programme
- Receptionist Courses
- Supply Chain Management Programme
- Tourism Management Programme
- Tourism Marketing Programme
- Wedding Planner Programme
Short Courses At Learning Group
Is It Possible To Buy Your Matric Certificate?
No, you cannot buy your Matric Certificate.
Your certificate will be awarded to you by Umalusi through the Department of Education once you have completed your Matric. Umalusi has stated that participating in the buying and selling of Matric Certificates is a criminal offence.
If you have lost or damaged your Matric Certificate, you can pay a fee for a replacement certificate.
What Have We Learned?
- Adult Matric takes a minimum of 12 months to complete
- It is free to register with the Department of Education to write your Matric exams. Studying for your Matric is not free, you will pay college fees to cover your tuition and study materials at the institution where you study
- You can study for your Matric online, but you must write your exams in a government-designated venue. You can study through a distance learning college or at a TVET college
- You can fail one subject and still pass your Matric
- If you fail Matric, you can get your paper remarked or rechecked for a fee. You can view your paper for a fee once it has been remarked or rechecked. You can also do a Matric Rewrite
- There are many study opportunities available even if you failed Matric. You cannot buy your Matric Certificate
- You can pay a fee for a replacement Matric Certificate if yours gets lost or damaged.
Author: Chloe Bydawell
Editor: Razeen Dollie
Date: June 8, 2022