- Make a study schedule. Make it flexible, so you can adjust for any unforeseen situations, and stick to it as closely as possible.
- Make a study area. Make sure the space is clean and the surrounding area is clear. This makes it easier for your brain to focus, so you can retain information better.
- Study every day. It is much easier to revise information you already know well, instead of trying to go back and remember something you looked at in class weeks ago and have not looked at again.
- Study effectively. Reading over the information rarely helps much. Rather have something you can take notes on, as writing information down helps you remember it better.
- Use past papers. Studying from past exams can help you to understand how the questions will be structured. Seeing the memorandums for the past papers will also help you to understand how to structure your answers.
- Join a study group. Even better than writing information down is teaching it. Get a group together and take turns teaching each other. This will help you and your peers find your weak areas, and help each other work on them, or ask your teacher for help.
- Get good sleep. If you are not getting enough sleep, your brain is not working at its best. The better you are rested, the easier it will be to study.
- Eat healthy snacks. Feeling hungry is distracting, but eating sugary foods will cause your brain to lose focus far too quickly and easily.
- Drink water. Dehydration headaches are difficult to work through, and sugary drinks will not help. Staying hydrated can also help you feel more energised and focused for longer.
What Happens If You Rewrite Matric And Fail?
You can choose to rewrite your Matric again, or you can choose to study without Matric. There is no limit to the number of times you can rewrite your Matric, as long as you are still under the age of 21. Once you have turned 21, you can apply for a Matric Upgrade instead.
How Much Does It Cost To Rewrite Matric?
It is free to register with the Department of Education to rewrite your Matric. However, it is not free to study for your rewrite. You will pay the fees for the school or college where you study for your Matric Rewrite. These fees will cover your tuition and study materials.
You can also apply for a re-mark instead of rewriting if you believe you should have done better and having it remarked will make a difference. This will cost you a fee per subject you want re-marked. Check the Department of Education website for the current fee. You can apply for a re-mark online. If you have any other questions about a re-mark, you can email the Department.
Can You Do Matric In 3 Months?
No, you cannot complete your Matric in three months. Any Matric qualification will take a minimum of 12 months to complete, and can take up to three years to complete.
However, if you have failed and would like to do a Matric Rewrite or Matric Upgrade to pass, you can register for the exams in January/February, and write the exams in May/June.
Can I Rewrite My Matric After 3 Years?
Yes, you can rewrite your Matric after three years. You can rewrite your Matric up to five years after your Matric year.
How Many Times Are You Allowed To Rewrite Matric?
There is no limit to the number of times you can rewrite your Matric as long as you are still under the age of 21. After you have turned 21, you can apply for a Matric Upgrade. There is no limit to the number of times you can upgrade your Matric.
Can I Rewrite My Matric And Change Subjects?
No, you cannot change your subjects for a Matric Rewrite. You may rewrite a maximum of four subjects, and these must be subjects you wrote for your Matric final exams.
Note that if you will not pass Matric by improving the marks in four subjects, you will not be allowed to rewrite. Instead, you must re-enrol for your Matric year, or wait until you are over 21 to do a Matric Upgrade.
What Do I Need To Apply For A Matric Rewrite?
You will only need two things to apply for a Matric Rewrite:
- A copy of your Statement of Results
- A certified copy of your ID
Where Can I Study For A Matric Rewrite
There are many reputable distance learning colleges that offer Matric Rewrite courses, such as:
- Bellview Institute of Distance Learning
- Matric College
These colleges also offer Matric Upgrade courses and Adult Matric courses. These two Matric programmes are also offered by Skills Academy, however, Skills Academy does not offer a Matric Rewrite programme.
What Is Amended Matric?
Amended Matric is the common name for the certificate awarded to you after you have completed Adult Matric, or after upgrading your Adult Matric. After successfully completing your Matric Upgrade, you will combine the results by applying to the Department of Education for a Replacement Certificate: Change of Status.
Once you have received your combined results, it is still called an Amended Matric, or Senior Certificate (Amended). The certificate you receive at the end of School Matric is a National Senior Certificate. You will receive the same certificate if you do a Matric Rewrite.
The certificate you receive at the end of an Adult Matric is a Senior Certificate (Amended). The certificate you receive after combining your results once you have successfully completed a Matric Upgrade is called an Amended Senior Certificate. These both work exactly the same way as an NSC.
You can apply for a combination of certificates at the Department of Education. You will do this by applying for a Replacement Certificate: Change of Status.
To apply, you need to do the following:
- Have all of your results from all exam sittings
- Have your original ID and a certified copy of your ID
- Fill in the application form
- You must pay the application fee of R153. You can pay online or via the post office. If you also need a Statement of Results, this will cost an extra fee of R55. Note that these prices are valid until 31 March 2023
- All applications have moved online because of the pandemic. You need to upload all the documentation. Remember to include your proof of payment
For both a replacement and a re-issue, it will take four to six weeks from the time your application is received to when you will be able to fetch your Certificate.
What Is The Difference Between Matric Rewrite And Upgrade?
The main differences between Matric Rewrite and Matric Upgrade are:
Must be under the age of 21
Must be over the age of 21
May rewrite a maximum of four subjects
May upgrade as many subjects as you like
May not change subjects
May change any or all elective subjects
How Much Does It Cost To Upgrade Your Matric Results?
It is free to register with the Department of Education for these exams. However, it is not free to study for your Matric Upgrade. You will pay the fees for the school or college where you choose to study for your Matric Upgrade. This will cover your tuition and your study materials.
Who Qualifies For Matric Upgrade?
You qualify for Matric Upgrade if you meet the following requirements:
- You are over the age of 21
- You failed Matric and would like to improve your results and pass
- OR you passed Matric but were unsatisfied with your results and would like to improve them
When Can I Upgrade My Matric Results?
You can upgrade your Matric results any time after you have turned 21.
Can I Upgrade My Matric At UNISA?
No, you cannot upgrade your Matric at UNISA. UNISA is a university and so does not offer any Matric courses. UNISA only offers university courses.
Can I Upgrade My Matric After 10 Years?
Yes, you can upgrade your Matric after 10 years. You can upgrade your Matric any time as long as you are over the age of 21. There is no limit to the number of times you can upgrade your Matric.
What Can I Study Without Matric?
There are two ICB courses you can choose to study without Matric:
- Business Management
- Financial Accounting
- Office Administration
The ICB Business Management course only requires you to have Grade 11 to be able to apply. There are three levels in the course, going up to the Diploma level.
The ICB Financial Accounting course only requires you to have Grade 10 to be able to apply. There are four levels in the course, going up to the Diploma level.
The ICB Office Administration course requires you to have Matric or a Matric Equivalent to be able to apply. This means that you can study the Matric Equivalent level in either the Business Management course or the Financial Accounting course, and then use this to apply for the Office Administration course.
The ICB Office Administration course has three levels. It begins at the Higher Certificate level and goes up to the Diploma level.
Where Can I Study ICB Courses?
There are also many short courses offered at four of the above colleges.
Short Courses At Matric College
Short Courses At Skills Academy
- Accounting, Bookkeeping And Finance
- Computer Courses
- Educare And Childcare
- Forensics And Policing
- Human Resource Management
- Insurance Courses
- Interior Decorating and Design, and Digital Photography
- Management Courses
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Project Management
- Wedding And Events Plannin
Short Courses At Ember Academy
- Beauty Therapist Programmes
- Child Daycare Programme
- Child Psychology Programme
- Crèche Management Programme
- Digital Photography Programme
- Event Management Programme
- Facial Skincare Programme
- Guest House Management Programme
- Human Resource Management Programme
- Make-up Application Programme
- Nail Care Programme
- Operational Health and Safety Programme
- Personal Assistant Programme
- Project Management Programme
- Receptionist Courses
- Supply Chain Management Programme
- Tourism Management Programme
- Tourism Marketing Programme
- Wedding Planner Programme
Short Courses At Learning Group
What Have We Learned?
- People who rewrite Matric do pass their exams
- There are many study tips you can follow to help yourself pass your rewrite
- It is free to register to rewrite your Matric. It is not free to study for your Matric Rewrite
- You cannot do your Matric in three months
- You can study for your Matric online, but you cannot write your exams online
- There is no limit to the number of times you can rewrite Matric as long as you are still under the age of 21
- You can choose to do a Matric Upgrade instead. Once you have turned 21, you can upgrade your Matric
- There is no limit to the number of times you can upgrade your Matric
- There are many study opportunities available even if you do not have Matric
Author: Chloe Bydawell
Editor: Razeen Dollie
Date: June 8,2022