- Your certificate has been lost or damaged, and you need a replacement
- Some information has changed or was incorrect, and you need a re-issue with the new or correct information
- You want to combine your new marks with your old marks
To apply for a new certificate due to loss of, or damage to, the original certificate, you will need to:
- Get an affidavit at the police station. In the affidavit, you will explain what happened to the certificate, for example, a fire or robbery
- Have your original ID and a certified copy of your ID
- Applicants need to complete a replacement application form. You can complete this form online
- You must pay the application fee, which is currently R153. This fee amount is valid until March 31 2023, after which it is subject to change. Pay online or via the post office. If you also need a Statement of Results, this will cost another R55.00
- All applications have moved online because of the pandemic. You need to upload all the documentation. Remember to include your proof of payment
If your information was incorrect, or information has changed (such as completing a Matric Upgrade and combining the results), you will need to apply for a Replacement Certificate: Change of Status.
To apply, you need to do the following:
- Have your exam results from all exam sittings, including failed exams
- Have your original ID as well as a certified copy of your ID
- Complete the application form
- You must pay the application fee of R153. You can pay two ways, either online or via the post office. If you also need a Statement of Results, this will cost an extra fee of R55. This will be available to you immediately. Note that these prices are valid until 31 March 2023, after which they are subject to change.
- All applications have moved online because of the pandemic. You must upload all the documentation, and remember to include your proof of payment.
How Long Does It Take To Apply For Matric Certificate?
You can apply online in minutes if you have all the documents ready. Once you have applied, it will take four to six weeks for your certificate to arrive.
How Can I Get My Matric Certificate Quickly?
Unfortunately, there is no way to speed up the process for your new certificate. However, you can apply for a copy of your Statement of Results to use as a place-holder in the meantime. This will cost you an extra R55.
Can You Get A New Matric Certificate If Lost?
Yes, you can. When you lose or damage your Matric Certificate, you can get it replaced through the Department of Education or the Provincial Education Department. The process for a replacement is the same whether your original certificate is lost or damaged.
Can I Make Changes To My Matric Certificate?
You may only make changes to your Matric Certificate if you want to do the following:
- If you want to change your name, you have to go to the DBE/PED offices for an interview. After you have returned your original copy, then the changes will be made. This applies to a Matric Certificate re-issue, not a replacement. You can make the changes within the 12-month bracket after you have received it.
- If you write supplementary exams and get better marks, you can make the changes within 6 months after the original date it was issued
- To change the gender on your Matric Certificate, you need to apply at the Department of Home Affairs
- Exams can be written in two different sittings. You will have two Matric Certificates with different results. Apply for a change of status, to combine the two. You can apply for a statement of results while waiting for the change of status.
How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Matric Certificate?
The fees valid from 01 April 2022 to 31 March 2023 are R153 for a new certificate, and R55 for a copy of your Statement of Results to have while you wait for your new Matric Certificate.
How Can I Get A Copy Of My Matric Online?
You can apply for your new certificate online. However, you must go to the physical offices to fetch the new certificate when it arrives. You cannot get a digital copy.
Can I View My Matric Certificate Online?
You cannot view your certificate online. However, you can view your results online. To do this, you must go to the Department of Basic Education Matric Results page. Enter your exam number in the specified box, and click “Search”. Your results should come up below the search box.
How Do I Check My Qualifications Online In South Africa?
To search your qualification, you need to know the exact name of the qualification, or the qualification SAQA ID number. You can use these to search your qualification. The results will give you all available options. Find yours. Click on it, and you will find all information on it.
Where Is Your Matric Certificate Number?
Each certificate has a serial number in the bottom right-hand corner. Above the serial number is a barcode. Your certificate number is directly above the barcode.
How Do I Know If My Matric Certificate Is Registered?
You can apply through an agency to have your certificate verified. Note that you cannot apply directly to Umalusi, you must apply through an agency. You can find the list of approved agencies on the Umalusi verification page.
Each agency charges its own fees. Contact the agency to find out how much it will cost to have your certificate verified through them.
Why Is It Important To Have A Matric Certificate?
Having your Matric Certificate on your CV greatly improves your chances of employment. You can also use your Matric Certificate to further your studies, which will improve your employment prospects even further.
If you do not have your Matric and you are over the age of 21, you can study Adult Matric. You can study online through distance learning. You will receive your Senior Certificate (Amended), which works exactly the same way as a school Matric.
Is It Possible To Buy A Matric Certificate?
No, you cannot buy your Matric Certificate. Umalusi has stated that participating in the buying and spelling of Matric Certificates is a criminal offence. However, you can pay to get a replacement or re-issue if your certificate is lost, damaged, or incorrect.
What Have We Learned?
You can apply to the Department of Education for a replacement certificate for a fee. You can get a copy of your Statement of Results for an extra fee. It is important to have your Matric to improve your employment opportunities. You cannot buy a Matric Certificate.
Author: Chloe Bydawell
Editor: Razeen Dollie
Date: June 8, 2022