Matric Results! What Can I Study

You Got Your Matric Results – Now What Can You Study?

The results for the 2017 Matric Class will be released in less than a week, on 4 January 2018. Students will be able to get their results at their schools, exam centres, in the newspapers and online from 5 January 2018.

Bachelor’s Pass

To get a Bachelor’s pass you must get at least 40% in 5 higher credit subjects, AND 30% for 2 lower credit subjects, AND you must not fail ANY subjects.

With a Bachelor’s pass you qualify to study at a University or a University of Technology. And you qualify to study a Higher Education qualification.

You can study for a degree, or a higher education diploma, or a higher education certificate.

Here are some Colleges, Universities, Universities of Technology and other institutions where you can study:

Distance Learning Private Colleges (FET / TVET)

Skills Academy

TWP Academy

The Learning Group

Home Study College

IBTC Professional Business Education


Private Higher Education Institutions

Embury Institute for Higher Education

Boston College

Centurion Academy

Helderberg College

South African College of Applied Psychology

Southern Business School

UniCollege West Rand


Public Universities

University of Cape Town
University of Fort Hare
University of the Free State
University of KwaZulu-Natal
University of Limpopo
North-West University
University of Pretoria
Rhodes University
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
University of Stellenbosch
University of the Western Cape
University of the Witwatersrand
University of Johannesburg
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
University of Venda
University of Zululand

Distance Learning Public University

University of South Africa (Unisa)

Public Universities of Technology

Cape Peninsula University of Technology

Central University of Technology

Durban University of Technology

Mangosuthu University of Technology

University of Mpumalanga

Sol Plaatje University

Tshwane University of Technology

Vaal University of Technology

Diploma Pass

To get a Diploma pass, you must get at least 40% in 4 higher credit subjects, AND get 30% in 3 lower credit subjects, AND you may fail one subject.

With your Diploma pass you can study a diploma course at a University of Technology, or you can study a bridging course at a FET or TVET college.

Certificate Pass
To get a Certificate pass, you must get a 40% pass in your home language, AND get 2 subject above 40%, AND 4 subjects above 30%, AND you may fail one subject.

With your Certificate pass you can study a higher education certificate.


If you fail, you are not alone! In life we will fail at some point. It is how you pick yourself up and try again, that shows the person you are. Read more here if you did not get the Matric results you hoped for.

How Will You Pay For Your Studies?

You need to understand the difference between a bursary and a loan. And you should approach NSFAS for financial help. Read more aboutbursaries, loans and NSFAS here.

Free Education in 2018 – Unisa and NSFAS Takes the Lead
Less than two weeks after President Zuma announced free education for poor and working-class students, Unisa has outlined the processexplaining how qualifying first-time students can study for free in 2018.

Who can Apply?

Although the NSFAS applications for 2018 funding is already closed, Unisa will give you the opportunity to apply for NSFAS funding at the same time as you Register for your 2018 studies.

You can apply for NSFAS funding (free studies) from 3 January 2018 till 26 January, as part of your Unisa Registration.

This process is ONLY for first-time students. And the criteria are:

  1. This is the first time you register for a higher education course,
  2. You are applying for an undergraduate qualification,
  3. Your total household income is less than R350 000 per year,
  4. You are a South African citizen with a SA ID document


When Will You Know if you Got the Funding?

Students who register for first semester modules, will be informed by the middle of February.

Students who register for year modules, will be informed by the middle of April.

If you are successful, then your student fee account with Unisa will be adjusted once the NSFAS grant has been processed.


Where to Get Your Matric Results?
Online you can get your results from the website of the Department of Education.
The IEB Matric Exam Results will be available on the IEB website.