What are the consequences Of cheating during exams? Cheating on exams might be the biggest mistake you make in your entire academic career. Some of the consequences of being caught cheating might be irreversible. It is advisable to write your examinations honestly rather than putting your future on the line.
To give you more reasons not to cheat, we have put together this article on what the consequences will be of making this poor decision.
Why Do Students Cheat?
The primary reason students cheat on exams is that they did not study. They will find a way to bring the exam answers into the examination room and copy the answers onto their exam sheets.
Other underlying reasons why students would cheat on an exam are, for example, they did study, but just the day before the exam, or they have poor study skills and cannot remember all the study material. All of these factors can contribute to anxiety, and lead to students cheating because they think it is the only way out of the situation.
What Is Cheating In Exams Called?
There are more formal terms that can be used for cheating in exams, such as:
- Academic Fraud
- Academic Dishonesty
- Academic Misconduct
Is It OK To Cheat In Exams?
No, it is not OK to cheat in exams. It is deemed disrespectful and if you are caught, there will be consequences. It is also unfair to your fellow students who had to study hard for the test while you are writing the answers down from the notes you brought into the examination room.
Study hard and write your exams the honest way, and you will see the work you have put in will bear positive results.
Should I Tell The Teacher If Someone Is Cheating?
Yes, you should. If you witness someone cheating on an exam, even if it is a friend, report it to the teacher or the person in charge of the exams. You can even report the cheating as anonymous if you do not want the student to know it was you who reported them.
Reporting a cheating student during an exam prevents them from gaining an unfair advantage over other students.
Also Read: Who Marks Matric Exam Papers?
What Is Considered Cheating During An Exam?
Students have developed several unique ways to cheat on exams throughout the years. That is why it is essential for teachers and exam administrators to be aware of all of these cheating methods and to be on the lookout for them.
A table of the many cheating mechanisms used by students is shown below:
How to Avoid Being Falsely Accused
Write the answers on a piece of paper and hide it somewhere, such as your sleeve, to take into the exam room.
When you enter the examination room, make sure you have put away any textbooks and notes, and only bring what you need, such as a ruler or a pencil.
During the exam, students communicate with one another to exchange their answers.
Do not, under any circumstances, speak to anyone. Even if someone asks you a question or motions in your direction, ignore them and continue with your work.
One student copies the answers from another student’s exam paper without their consent.
Always keep your eyes on your own work, and when you’re finished, do not look around; instead, lay on your arms, face down.
Students use their cell phones to search for exam answers.
Give your cell phone to the teacher or person in charge of the exam, and then collect it after the exam.
Water bottles and stationary
Answers can be written on stationary and on water bottles.
Make sure your water bottle is transparent, that the label is removed, and that you carry your stationery in a clear pencil box.
When a student takes a toilet break, they can look at the answers in the bathroom.
Before you go to the restroom, have the instructor check your pockets and sleeves for any notes.
Exam answers can be written on the tables or desks in the exam room.
Before you sit down for the exam, make sure your table or desk is clear of any text or symbols.
How Do I Report A Cheating Student?
Talk to one of your teachers about reporting a cheating student. You can do this after the exam without interfering with the exam session. The teacher will then know who to keep a lookout for.
If you want to report a student but do not want to become involved, you can write an anonymous note and leave it for your teacher to find. To minimise confusion, provide a detailed description of what you saw and who you saw.
How Will A Student Be Punished If They Were Caught Cheating?
There will be consequences if you are caught cheating during an examination. The following are some of the possible outcomes of your actions:
- You may be suspended from attending school for a few days
- You will suffer a blow to your self-esteem and feel guilty as a result of your actions
- Other students may look down on you since you took the easy route while they had to work hard for their grades
- Your academic transcript may reflect the fact that you cheated
- You may be banned from writing any exam papers for the length of the exam
- You might have to redo the school year
- You might be required to appear before a disciplinary hearing
How Will A Student Be Punished If Caught Cheating In Their Matric Exams?
If you are caught cheating during your final Matric examinations, the consequences will be even more severe than if you cheated on a regular examination. The following are the consequences of cheating on the Matric exams:
- You will lose your chance of registering at a college and a university the following year, because you will be banned from writing the examination any further in that year. You will only have the opportunity to write your exams again in the following year or, in some cases, after the next three (3) years
- You will have to apply for supplementary exams to rewrite the paper you have not completed due to cheating. These supplementary exams are also expensive to take
- Supplementary tests are typically meant to be slightly more difficult than the initial exam. This means you will have to study even harder, and your chances of achieving good grades may suffer as a result
How Can I Be Prepared For My Examinations Without Cheating?
We realise that preparing for a test is not the most fun thing in the world, but hard work always pays off. Here are some tips and tricks to help you make the most of your study time and avoid resorting to exam cheating:
- You will need a study space that is quiet and away from any distractions. This area should be well-lit and include all the study material you will need
- Create a timetable. You should make time for each and every subject you take, and allocate a time to how long you will be studying and when. Make sure you have studied all your work before the exam date
- Make summaries after each lesson of the work you covered. When it comes to exam preparation, it will be much easier to go through short notes, rather than your entire textbook
- Look for past papers, so you can become familiar with the structure of exam papers. You will know how marks are allocated and how much time you will have to complete the test
Author: Esmari Pool
Editor: Esmari Pool
Date Published: November 7, 2022