Unisa Higher Certificate programmes for the 2022 academic year are some of the most sought-after qualifications to study at the university.
We’re here to give you the lowdown on what you need to qualify for the higher certificate programmes, where and when you can apply, and important tidbits you may need to know before applying.
Not everyone will qualify to study their dream degree choice after leaving Matric, with poor marks playing a large factor. This would leave students with little option but to apply towards studying a lower qualification.
However, to say that there is no value in studying a lower qualification is a lie. Did you know that the Higher Qualifications offered by Unisa can enable students to apply for a degree qualification upon completion?
It may not be everyone’s first choice but it is a path many choose to follow in order to study towards that dream degree qualification.
Before looking elsewhere, here are a few points to consider whether doing a Higher Certificate qualification at Unisa in 2022 is the right choice for you:
- Higher certificate qualifications are viewed as introductory phase programmes into the career path of your choice
- They are more industry-orientated than other programmes
- This in turn will prepare students well to transfer learned skills directly into the workforce
- Skills obtained will give applicants a higher chance of being offered job opportunities than those who lack the required skill set.
Need To Know Facts on the Higher Certificate at Unisa in 2022
The common misconception about studying at a university is that it’s all about the admission points score (APS). While the APS do play a factor, there are a number of other factors to consider before applying for a higher certificate at Unisa.
These factors do include the following:
- Meeting the minimum APS requirement (which is 15 for a majority of qualifications)
- Having a maximum of 3 years to complete a higher certificate qualification
- The NQF level of the Unisa Higher Certificates in 2022 is Level 5
- Qualifications consisting of 10 modules, equivalent to 120 credits.
Additionally, prospective applicants will have to meet the additional requirements to qualify for a Unisa Higher Certificate, such as:
- Meeting a sub-minimum of 30% in the language of teaching and language (with regards to the National Senior Certificate); or
- Having a minimum of a F symbol on HG or an E symbol on SG in the language of teaching and language (with regards to the Senior Certificate); or
- A National Certificate (Vocational) (NCV) with at least 40% in the language of teaching and learning in terms of the NSC.
With regards to NC(V) qualifications, some Unisa Higher Certificate 2022 qualifications may include applicants doing subjects from different fields of study.
This is the norm when it comes to studying a course in a specific field, such as for example, having to do vocational subjects from the EMS field when applying towards an accounting qualification. These requirements HAVE to be met in order to qualify. So in other words – it’s not only the APS that matters.
Read More: Calculate Your APS
Available Higher Certificate Courses Offered by Unisa in 2022
Unisa offers a total of 17 different higher certificate qualifications, ranging in various subject fields from Education to Law to Financial courses.
Various courses in question include the following fields of study:
- Higher Certificate in Accounting Sciences
- Higher Certificate in Animal Welfare
- Higher Certificate in Archives and Record Management
- Higher Certificate in Banking
- Higher Certificate in Criminal Justice
- Higher Certificate in Economic and Management Sciences
- Higher Certificate in Education Foundation Phase and Intermediate Phase
- Higher Certificate in Education Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching
- Higher Certificate in Law
- Higher Certificate in Life and Environmental Sciences
- Higher Certificate in Marketing
- Higher Certificate in Mathematics and Statistics
- Higher Certificate in Physical Sciences
- Higher Certificate in Retailing
- Higher Certificate in Social Auxillary Work
- Higher Certificate in Supervisory Management
- Higher Certificate in Tourism Management
Applicants will have to ensure that they apply for the qualification of their choice that aligns with their career goals. In other words, it would not make sense if you dream of being a graphic designer and apply to study a Higher Certificate in Law, does it?
Where and When Can I Apply to Study a Unisa Higher Certificate in 2022?
Prospective applicants for a Unisa Higher Certificate qualification for the 2022 academic year can apply from 11 August until 15 October 2021.
In order to apply, students can apply through the university’s online application tool, which you can head to online here. If deemed successful, applicants will then be able to register for their chosen qualification during the next registration period, open from 4 January 2022.
Also Read: Unisa Applications for 2022
Disclaimer: We are not UNISA. The university reserve the right to deny applicants admission even if they do meet the admission requirements (mainly due to oversubscription of qualifications).
Published: 16 August 2021