Who Qualifies To Upgrade Matric Results?
To qualify for Matric Upgrade through distance learning, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be over the age of 21
- You can understand, read and write in English
- You have already written Matric
- You would like to improve the marks in four of your subjects
How Much Does It Cost To Upgrade Your Matric Results?
However, it is not free to study for your Matric Upgrade, whether you are studying in person, or studying your Matric online. You will pay the fees of the school or college where you study for your upgrade, and these fees will cover your tuition and study materials.
Can I Upgrade My Matric Results After 5 Years?
Yes, you can upgrade your Matric results any time after you have turned 21. There is no limit to the number of times you can upgrade your Matric. The only age requirement for when you can upgrade your Matric is that you are over the age of 21.
How Do Upgraded Marks Work?
Upgraded marks work exactly the same way as your regular Matric marks. Once you have successfully completed your Matric Upgrade, you can apply to combine your results.
You can do this by applying to the Department of Education for a Replacement Certificate: Change of Status. You will need:
- To pay the fees, which are currently R153 for a replacement certificate, and R55 for a copy of your Statement of Results to use until your amended certificate arrives
- copy of all exam results from all exam sittings
- A certified copy of your ID
- Proof of payment
- You can then fill in the application form and apply online
Once you have done this, you will receive your Matric Certificate with your amended results. Your new certificate will only have your best marks.
What Is The Difference Between Matric Rewrite And Upgrade?
There are few differences between a Matric Rewrite and a Matric Upgrade. The main differences are:
Must be under the age of 21
Must be over the age of 21
May rewrite a maximum of four subjects
May upgrade as many subjects as you like
May not change subjects
May change any or all elective subjects
Can I Upgrade My Matric At UNISA?
No, you cannot upgrade your Matric at UNISA. Universities do not offer Matric courses. This is because universities only offer tertiary education level courses, and Matric is not tertiary level.
Can I Upgrade My Matric At A TVET College?
Yes, you can upgrade your Matric at some TVET colleges. Check with the TVET college you are applying to about whether they offer Matric Upgrade courses.
Which Colleges Can I Upgrade My Matric?
There are many reputable distance learning colleges that offer Matric Upgrade courses, such as:
- Bellview Institute of Distance Learning
- Matric College
- Skills Academy
You can also choose to do a Matric Rewrite, an Adult Matric, or to study without your Matric.
A Matric Rewrite is for those under the age of 21. You can improve the marks of four subjects or fewer with a Matric Rewrite. You may not change your subjects for a Matric Rewrite. Note that if you will not pass Matric after improving the marks in two subjects, you will not be allowed to rewrite.
An Adult Matric is for those over the age of 21 who have not written Matric before. Once you have successfully completed your Adult Matric, you will receive your Senior Certificate (Amended). This works exactly the same way as a school Matric.
You can also choose to study without your Matric. Many distance learning colleges offer a variety of courses you can study without Matric.
Can I Change My Matric Subjects After Matric?
Yes, you can change your subjects for a Matric Upgrade. You may change any or all of your three elective subjects. You can change up to four subjects, and you can also add new subjects to your Matric Certificate.
However, you cannot change your subjects if you are doing a Matric Rewrite. You may only rewrite four subjects.
Does NSFAS Fund Upgrade Students?
No, NSFAS does not fund any Matric studies. NSFAS only funds South African students studying undergraduate courses at South African universities, or ABET levels at a TVET college.
ABET levels go up to Grade 9 equivalent. You can then study National Certificate (Vocational), which goes up to Matric Equivalent level.
What Have We Learned?
- Anyone over the age of 21 qualifies for a Matric Upgrade
- It is free to register with the Department of Education to write your exams. However, it is not free to study for your upgrade
- You can upgrade your Matric marks any time once you are over the age of 21
- Upgraded marks work exactly the same way as your original Matric marks
- You cannot upgrade your Matric at UNISA
- You can upgrade your Matric at some TVET colleges
- There are many reputable distance learning colleges that also offer Matric Upgrade
- NSFAS does not fund any Matric studies.
Author: Chloe Bydawell
Editor: Razeen Dollie
Date: June 10, 2022