How do I successfully do a UNISA application? You can easily and successfully apply at UNISA if you follow these y simple steps:
- Choose your qualification
- Fill in the UNISA online form
- Submit the required documents
- Receive your student number
- Pay the application fee
- Wait for a response
- Register your subjects
This page explain in depth each of these steps, and you can download our tutorial booklet.
Before you can start registering for your degree with UNISA, you need to apply to the actual university. This happens before the registration and when you actively begin to study. Applications are accepted in April and August (so it’s best to register early). Check the next application dates.
Download the ‘7 Steps to Successfully Applying at UNISA’ Guide by filling in the form below
UNISA Application Process 101
For first-time students at UNISA, here is a list of steps to make your application stress-free:
- Have scanned copies of the following documents handy to submit online together with your application form:
- Certified copy of your school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- Certified copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (if applicable) (please note that internet copies will not be accepted)
- Certified copy of your ID document (RSA students) or passport (international students)
- Certified copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
- Certified sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
- DSAR04 form and supporting documents if you are applying for exemptions
Receive your student number
Once you have submitted your application form + supporting documents and UNISA processes your application you will receive a student number. Remember this student number as you’ll use it for my.unisa.ac.za and further communications with the university.
You must thereafter pay a non-refundable application fee. You can pay online via credit card (response is quicker) or via bank deposit. More information on paying the application fee and international payments.
Wait for a response
UNISA will get back to you to inform you about the outcome of your application. For enquiries regarding applications call email UNISA via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expect the processing of the application to take between one to four months.
You can also check your application status on the UNISA website. Read this page for details on how to check your UNISA application status.
Once your application is successful, it is now time to register your modules and start studying! Follow the UNISA registration tutorial.
Remember that you have to register your subjects in the next Registration period after you are accepted. If you don’t then you will lose your place at UNISA, and you will have to apply to study all over again.
There is no guarantee that you will be accepted the second time you apply.
This means it is of utmost importance that you keep an eye on the UNISA registration dates and apply to study immediately.
UNISA Applications Checklist
Here is a checklist from UNISA that will help you apply successfully:
- I have chosen my Unisa qualification
- I have checked that I meet the detailed admission requirements for my qualification of choice
- I have applied online, at a regional office or via post
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my official tertiary academic record (if applicable)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my ID document (RSA students) or passport (foreign students)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my marriage certificate or divorce decree (if applicable)
- I have uploaded/submitted sworn translations of my documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
- I have submitted/submitted my application with the supporting documentation before the closing date for applications
- I will pay the application fee within 5 days of being informed of my reference number