Applying to study at UNISA is a long, often frustrating process. It takes patience, and perseverance. If you follow our advice and our tutorials you will get through. This is your future, so always remember it is worth the pain to push on through!
Here is a very simplified UNISA Application Guideline on how to apply to UNISA:
- Choose your qualification
- Fill in the UNISA online form
- Submit the required documents
- Receive your student number
- Pay the application fee
- Wait for a response
- Register your subjects in the next semester
- Start your UNISA study journey!
- Before you can register for your degree with UNISA, you first need to apply to study at UNISA.
- Only after UNISA has accepted your application, can you register to actually start studying at UNISA.
- UNISA Applications are usually open during April and August (so it’s best to register early). Check the next application dates.
UNISA Application Process 101
Choose your qualification
Choose a UNISA qualification and make sure you meet the admission requirements.
Fill in the UNISA application form
You must apply for admission to UNISA by filling and submitting the admission form. You can either fill in the form online or at a regional office.
Submit your documents to UNISA
- Have scanned copies of the following documents handy to submit online together with your application form:
- Certified copy of your school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- Certified copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (if applicable) (please note that internet copies will not be accepted)
- Certified copy of your ID document (RSA students) or passport (international students)
- Certified copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
- Certified sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
- Click here for extra forms and supporting documents if you are applying for exemptions
Receive your student number
- You will receive a student number once you have submitted your application form, supporting documents and UNISA have successfully processed your application.
- Remember your unique student number, as you’ll need it to log into your myUnisa account, and for any further communication/correspondence with the university.
- Next you need to pay a non-refundable application fee.
- You can pay online via credit card (response is quicker) or via bank deposit. More information on paying the application fee and international payments.
Wait for a response
- UNISA will inform you about the outcome of your application.
- For enquiries regarding applications, email UNISA at email@example.com.
- Expect the application process to take between one to four months.
- You can also check your application status on the UNISA website. Read this page for details on how to check your UNISA application status.
- Once your application is successful, it is now time to register your modules and start studying! Follow the UNISA registration tutorial.
- Remember that you have to register your subjects in the next Registration Period after you have been accepted. If you do not register during the given Registration Period, then you will lose your place at UNISA, and you will have to go through the application process all over again.
- There is no guarantee that you will be accepted the second time you apply.
- This means it is of utmost importance that you keep an eye on the UNISA registration dates and apply to study immediately.
UNISA Applications Checklist
Here is a checklist from UNISA that will help you apply successfully:
- I have chosen my UNISA qualification
- I have checked that I meet the detailed admission requirements for my qualification of choice
- I have applied online, at a regional office or via post
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my official tertiary academic record (if applicable)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my ID document (RSA students) or passport (foreign students)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my marriage certificate or divorce decree (if applicable)
- I have uploaded/submitted sworn translations of my documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
- I have submitted/submitted my application with the supporting documentation before the closing date for applications
- I will pay the application fee within 5 days of being informed of my reference number
Last edited: July 14, 2018