- Distance learning is a great option for those who want to work and study
- When you are studying through distance learning you need to remember to complete your assignments, stay organised, take study breaks, avoid distractions, and always ask for help
- There are also certain skills you need to develop when you become a distance learning student because it is different from traditional learning
- With distance learning, there are endless benefits. From studying anywhere to affordable studies
- Matric College is a distance learning college that offers a variety of courses you can choose from
If you want to further your education, distance learning is the best option. Here are 5 tips for studying distance learning courses:
- Remember to submit assignments on time.
- Stay organised and set study goals.
- Take study breaks.
- Avoid distractions.
- Ask for help.
1. Remember To Submit Assignments On Time
It does allow a lot of flexibility, especially when it comes to deadlines for assignments.
However, you need to make sure you do not take advantage of this flexibility. Always look out for deadlines and submit assignments on time.
Submitting assignments on time shows respect for your teachers and your commitment to your education.
2. Stay Organised And Set Study Goals
Being organised is one of the most important elements of becoming a successful student. At first, it may feel overwhelming when you start a new course. But it gets better.
The best way to manage it is to break up the assignments. If you have daily goals you will manage your time better and you will not feel rushed for deadlines and test dates.
Create a study timetable that will keep you on track.
3. Take Study Breaks
You need to remember to take study breaks. Do not push yourself to study when you are frustrated or tired as this is counterproductive.
Try to add short study breaks to your study timetable. When you do take a break add physical activities like running, walking, or taking a stroll.
Make sure you go to a place far from your “study area”.This will give your mind a break and you will feel refreshed when you get back.
4. Avoid Distractions
For many, the most common distractions are social media, television, and games. But this can range from hanging out with friends to reading a magazine.
Try to stay away from anything you think might distract you. Also inform your family members and friends, this way they will remind you to study and help you stay focused.
5. Ask For Help
One common misconception is that there is no support. Students can still get assistance from online tutors as well as ask other students for help.
When you ask for help you will get a better understanding of what is expected from you. There is no point in avoiding assistance as you will set yourself up for failure.
Engage and make the best of your experience.
Skills Distance Learning Students Need To Develop
There are skills distance learning students need to develop to be successful. Here are some of the skills.
It can become isolating if you allow it. To be successful you need to motivate yourself, even when you do not want to.
You need to push yourself even when you are experiencing challenges. This means that when you feel tired you need to learn to rest and not quit.
Unlike university students, distance learning students need to learn to study alone. Your tutors will not actively push you to submit assignments but will be there when you need them.
This means that you need to take initiative and be independent.
Traditional learning requires students to be engaged in class, whereas with distance learning you have no classes to be engaged in.
It is important to participate in online discussions and further your knowledge outside of what you are taught.
Benefits Of Distance Learning
The benefits of distance are endless. Here are some of the many benefits:
- Study anywhere
- Flexible study
- Variety of learning providers
- Lower costs
- Work and study
Where Can I Study A Distance Learning Course?
Many institutes in South Africa offer distance learning courses. Here are some of the many institutions:
- Ember Academy
- Matric College
- Skills Academy
- Bellview Institute of Distance Learning
- The Décor School
- The Learning Group
Courses Offered At Matric College
- Matric Rewrite
- National Senior Certificate
- Matric Upgrade
- National Senior Certificate or Senior Certificate (Amended) depending on your age when you complete your studies
- Adult Matric
If you are looking to further your studies in the financial or business management field, the ICB Courses are just what you are looking for. There are 3 study programs offered to Matric College students and they are:
- Financial Accounting
- National Certificate in Junior Bookkeeping
- FET Certificate in Senior Bookkeeping
- National Diploma in Technical Financial Accounting
- National Diploma in Certified Financial Accounting
- Business Management
- Small Business Financial Management: ICB National Certificate
- Business Management Office Administration: ICB Higher Certificate
- Business Management Financial Accounting: ICB National Diploma
- Office Administration
- National Certificate in Small Business Financial Management
- Higher Certificate in Office Administration
- National Diploma in Financial Accounting
Matric College also offers NATED courses via distance learning. These NATED courses offer you fantastic opportunities if you want to advance your career prospects by giving you the chance of earning a National Diploma qualification in one of the following streams:
- Business Management Courses
- Educare Courses
- Financial Management Courses
- Human Resource Management Courses
- Legal Secretary Courses
- Management Assistant Courses
- Marketing Management Courses
Last Updated: 5 January 2022